Friday, January 9, 2015

Last year was not a book heavy year for me. There are some years I tear through books left and right, but last year there was a lot of other things going on. Which means I started listening to audiobooks. Some of my favorite audiobooks that I've had a chance to listen to: Wee Free Men A Hat Full of Sky Wintersmith written by Sir Terry Pratchett, and the narrator does a fantastic job with the wide range of characters from the practical main character to the wild pictsies and the wise old broads that inhabit this world. (And I honestly don't think they'd mind being called broads.) Diviners Written by Libba Bray, and the narrator brought the world in the 1920's alive, and managed to make a scary book terrifying. (I had to stop listening and go grab the book to make sure a character was going to be okay because the character was in danger, and then the chapter switch happened...) All told, there were times when I laughed along with the main character, and other times I held my breath as the narrator described a tense moment, scene, and more. Fantastic book. My only complaint - it's the first part in a series. I thought it was a stand alone, so when the ending happened, I groaned a bit because I know I'll be eagerly awaiting the next title, but I was much more in the mood for a stand alone. A Monster Calls Written by Patrick Ness, and the narration... Any format of this book is amazing. The narrator handles the story very, very well. Amazingly so. However the book has some illustrations and arabesque flourishes on the pages that just add to the story. If you don't know they are there, you won't miss them. But after reading the book, and listening to the story, the illustrations just add a bit of creepy and amazing (one would say awe as well). An amazing story. Some of my favorites from last year (although A Monster Calls is probably from the year before, but it's on the Abraham Lincoln list, so I added it to this year). Anyone listen to any good audiobooks I should put on my radar?

No comments:

Post a Comment