Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Challenged books

While this isn't my section, it does seem that many books that are challenged or banned come from the YA section. That section is near and dear to my heart. Was when I was a kid and a teen, and still is as an adult.

I don't like the idea of someone not liking parts of a book and therefore wanting to deprive EVERYONE of that book. Just because your school has an anti-alcohol group, doesn't mean that there shouldn't be any books where characters are depicted as drinking. We all learn different things from reading. And if all you read is the page where the character has sex for the first time, and not the next chapter depicting her worries about the consequences, you may want to ban something that's actually reinforcing your message.

And what prompted this?

http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/20100517/FON0101/5170327/1985/FONent

Now, this worries me, as it seems like there have been more of these in the news as of late. So, what does that have to do with me? A librarian who orders graphic novels for adults, which we have defined as 16+?

Well, a lot.

If more and more challenges are appearing, how much longer will it be before someone takes a hard look at a YA graphic novel section and is shocked and appalled by what they find?

Which bring me to part of the reason for this blog. Not all graphic novels are appropriate for teens.

There. I've said it.

And I want to repeat it. Having a graphic novel section for adults is important. It allows you to put "edgier" titles in the library, but in a clear demarcation that tells parents that it might not be suitable for younger children, even if it is a graphic novel (comic book). It also allows those of us that are older a section where we can get books that have mature themes.

I'm not for taking a tally of how many swear words are said or posting a break down of the different incidences of sexual situations that are in the book, nor am I for showing a tally of how many times drugs or alcohol are mentioned.

What I am here for is to let you know what is in the graphic novel. I find it disturbing how little there is for graphic novels, for adults. I also find it disturbing how many graphic novels that are "adult" are on the YALSA list. I can't seem many kids checking out "The Photographer". As cool as the concept of the book is to me, as an adult, it's not really one I see the kids flipping through.

And while I'm rambling, as I have a tendency to do, the end decision lies with the individual librarians, who know their community.

As I have often said, my section is 16+. Why 16+? Because our YA section is grades 7-12, but since we have some Rebecca Caudill's in the YA, we get 4th graders on up in the YA section. We felt is was more appropriate to put the older teen stuff in the adult section. The kids know where it is, and do check out some of the books from there.

Do I think a 16 year old can handle The Watchmen? Sure. It maybe something where they don't get all of it, but they should be able to handle the story and the adult content. Do I think a 12 year old can handle it? I would say no to that.

And while it does depend on the individual child, those are the guidelines with which we work.

Is it perfect? Not be a long shot. But it's working for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment